May 10, 2018 - Updated 12.11.18
Introducing…the myCGS MBI Look-Up Tool!
We are excited to announce our latest enhancement to myCGS – the MBI Look-Up Tool.
As a result of the Medicare Access and CHIP Reauthorization Act of 2015 (MACRA), the social security number-based Health Insurance Claim Number (HICN) must be removed from the Medicare card and replaced with the new Medicare Beneficiary Identifier (MBI). The MBI will be used in all Medicare transactions in place of the HICN. New Medicare cards will be mailed to people with Medicare April 2018 through April 2019. A substantial transition period will be in place from April 2018 through December 31, 2019, allowing you to use either the HICN or the new MBI for all Medicare transactions.
Beginning January 1, 2020, only the MBI will be accepted for all Medicare transactions, with limited exceptions.
You may use the myCGS MBI Look-Up Tool to obtain a patient's MBI. To submit an inquiry:
- Once logged into myCGS, click on the MBI LOOKUP tab located in the header of the portal.
- Complete the required fields: Patient's last name, first name, date of birth, and social security number. NOTE: The social security number must be in the XXX-XX-XXXX format.
- To meet our CAPTCHA requirements, you must select the I'M NOT A ROBOT checkbox.
- Click SUBMIT INQUIRY.
- If the social security number entered is not correct, an error message will display at the top of the page. Re-enter a valid social security number.
- If the social security number entered is correct, the MBI Look-Up Tool will display the patient's MBI in the lower-left corner of the page.
Check The New Medicare Card Project webpage for additional information regarding this initiative.