Outcome and Assessment Information Set (OASIS)
The Outcome and ASsessment Information Set (OASIS) is a group of data elements that:
- Represent core items, to be integrated into a comprehensive assessment for an adult home care patient.
- Form the basis for measuring patient outcomes for purposes of outcome-based quality improvement (OBQI).
- Provide quality data for consumer's use on Home Health Compare (link to O5).
- Provide information on the patient's conditions and needs to formulate the proper reimbursement.
OASIS-C, a modification to the Outcome and Assessment Information Set (OASIS), is required for use on all assessments that are completed on or after January 1, 2010. Changes to the OASIS include significant revisions to existing items and the addition of items that measure the processes of care. Refer to the All Time Point version to view the data set, which highlights new items in OASIS-C.
CGS does consider the documentation in the OASIS when reviewing medical records. Since our role is to pay your claims properly, our primary focus is on those M0 items which have reimbursement "points" attached to them. In addition, effective January 1, 2010, submission of the OASIS to the state is a condition of payment. Any claim reviewed by Medical Review where an OASIS has not been submitted to the state repository, will be denied. Please consult the OASIS User's manual, or your state OASIS Coordinator with questions regarding the OASIS data set.
- OASIS User's Manual — CMS has provided a OASIS User's Manual, which contains step-by-step instructions, and specific guidance on accurate recording for each M0 item.
- OASIS-C Guidance Manual — CMS has provided an OASIS-C Guidance Manual, which is a streamlined and updated version of the original OASIS Implementation Manual.
- OASIS Considerations for Medicare PPS Patients — CMS has developed this tool as a resource for OASIS assessments in regard to the type of episode or adjustment. Page 5 provides special issues related to the transition from OASIS-B1 to OASIS-C.
- OASIS Education Coordinators — CMS has designated an "OASIS Coordinator" in each state to facilitate education and as a resource to home health agencies for questions regarding the OASIS.
- OASIS Automation Coordinators — CMS has provided a list of OASIS Automation Coordinator contacts for each state to assist providers with transmission of the OASIS data. For assistance with HAVEN, you can also contact the HAVEN Help Desk at 1-877-201-4721 from 7:00 a.m. to 7:00 p.m. Central Time or send e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org
- OASIS Q&As — Through the years, home health agencies have asked very specific questions about their interpretation and use of the OASIS. To access questions and answers plus a variety of OASIS downloads and documentation, refer to the Home Health and OASIS Supplemental Training Information Web site. To submit OASIS questions, send an email to CMSOASISquestions@oasisanswers.com